NEW ONLINE COURSE: Train the Trainer: Design Genomics and Bioinformatics Training
- OrganisationWellcome Connecting Sciences Courses and Conferences Team
- Event Date21/06/21 - 12/07/21
- Posted date13/06/21
NEW ONLINE COURSE: Train the Trainer: Design Genomics and Bioinformatics Training | Wellcome Connecting Science Courses and Conferences Team
Discover how to plan and design engaging learning for those wanting to generate and analyse genomic data
Duration: 3 weeks, 5 hours per week
Free Certificate of Achievement available on satisfactory completion
Start Date: The course is run ‘live’ for 2 weeks from the start date above. Once this period is over there will be no live monitoring of the forums, but you can still join and complete the course during the remaining period.
Why join this course?
Genomics and bioinformatics is a growing area of research with important practical implications for sectors as diverse as healthcare, food production, and environmental research.
On this course, you’ll learn how to train students, peers, professionals, and future experts in genomic techniques, and come away able to plan and design engaging lessons for adult learners.
Who is this course for?
This course is for people who want to train students, peers, professionals, and future experts in genomics techniques. It will focus on practical skills for teaching adults as well as educational theory.
Learners are assumed to have knowledge of laboratory or bioinformatics techniques relevant to genomics. No prior knowledge of teaching, training or educational theory is assumed. There are no formal prerequisites
What topics will you cover?
- Adult learning and teaching principles and approaches for small or large groups
- Social learning through knowledge sharing; role of teacher/trainer in a learner centred environment
- Iterative process of learning design and development applied to genomics training
- Common educational methods to teach and assess bioinformatics and laboratory methods required for genomics
- Peer review project: design training in genomics, evaluate, reflect and improve
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Discuss adult learning theory and illustrate how an active, learner centred approach guides course design
- Apply good practice learning and teaching skills of communication, group work and facilitation
- Identify opportunities for creating learning experiences from subject content
- Plan and design learning for a selected audience encompassing aspects of generation and analysis of genomic data, suitable for own context and environment
- Evaluate and reflect on learning design and identify areas for improvement using peer review feedback