IWYP Data Coordinator
Location: MexicoThe position is part of an ambitious global coordinated approach to address the challenge of raising the genetic yield potential of wheat by 50% in the next two decades.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic, dedicated, innovative, self-motivated, and service-orientated professional for the position of International Wheat Yield Partnership (IWYP) Data Coordinator, at the post-doctoral fellow level, to work in a joint position between the Global Wheat Program and Genetic Resources Program. The position is part of an ambitious global coordinated approach to address the challenge of raising the genetic yield potential of wheat by 50% in the next two decades. The position offers an outstanding career opportunity for a junior level researcher interested in contributing to the implementation and development of new data management tools and international standards to support research in IWYP aiming to increase wheat yield potential.
This position is based at CIMMYT Headquarters located in Texcoco, Mexico and will travel to Ciudad Obregon (NW-Mexico) up to half the time.
- Implement new technologies for data capture, and help develop efficient systems and protocols for compiling, organizing, and curating field data generated in the IWYP-HUB.
- Establish a strict data quality control on physiological traits data during the wheat cycle in the IWYP-HUB field activities.
- Manage the loading of IWYP Hub genotypic and phenotypic data into institutional databases.
- Manage data-sharing platforms for IWYP project Partners that need to incorporate data generated through cutting edge genotyping and phenotyping technologies.
- Contribute to the Open Access publishing of selected IWYP Hub and Partner data.
- Standardize traits in accordance with other international efforts, curate, and analyze historical wheat physiology data in support of IWYP research goals.
- Contribute to the research activities in IWYP-HUB on wheat yield potential with special emphasis on photosynthesis, source-sink and partitioning traits.
- Contribute to training activities and interactions with visitors.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Plant Physiology, Breeding or Genetics of wheat or other cereals.
- Work experience in management of complex scientific data, preferably in a biotechnology and/or crop research context.
- Ability to organize and manipulate large volumes of data and familiarity with using databases.
- Desirable experience with field experimental designs and basic knowledge on wheat genealogy information.
- Good understanding of the basis of plant biology and genetics, including experience and understanding of the nature of physiological traits and genotypic data is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written English and good Spanish communication skills.
- Abilities for training and implementing the use of new technologies (i.e. tablets) and software for data capture and data storing.
- Flexibility to travel and spend extended periods in NW-Mexico (Cd. Obregon, Sonora) and occasionally travel abroad to meet IWYP partners.
- Strategic Thinking
- Time management
- Multi-Cultural Awareness/ Sensitivity
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17111 IWYP Data Coordinator.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on March 9th 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.